As Nasser recently said: “You never know what will happen at the Dakar Rally 2016…”. Maybe he was right. Even a great quality of the car sometimes doesn’t guarantee you will finish the Dakar. Sebastian Loeb lost his overall lead yesterday. Winner of the prologue Bernhard Ten Brinke is out, after his Toyota caught fire.
So this means Stephane Peterhansel is now leading the Dakar 2016, only 27 seconds ahead of Loeb though. Sebastian had some problems. His accelerator was blocked at full throttle so he had to control it with a switch and that wasn’t a piece of cake.Two punctures made his life even more miserable so he finished the stage second, 8 minutes behind Peterhansel.
Bernhard Ten Brinke – Toyota on fire!
— Bernhard ten Brinke (@b_tenbrinke) January 8, 2016
Nasser Al-Attiyah and nani Roma finished the stage 5th and 6th respectively. Roma is out of Top 10, Nasser is 4th overall. He’s 15 minutes behind Peterhansel, and 5 minutes behind Sainz who is third overall. If everything goes well for Peugeot, Nasser has no chance of being in Top 3.
Renault is a nice surprise this year. He is now in Top 10. Results:
- 302 Stephane Peterhansel / Jean-Paul Cottret – Peugeot
- 314 Sebastien Loeb / Daniel Elena – Peugeot
- 303 Carlos Sainz / Lucas Cruz – Peugeot
- 300 Nasser Al-Attiyah / Matthieu Baumel – Mini
- 301 Giniel de Villiers / Dirk von Zitzewitz – Toyota
- 315 Mikko Hirvonen / Michel Perin – Mini
- 319 Leeroy Poulter / Robert Howie – Toyota
- 305 Yazzed Al-Rajhi / Timo Gottschald – Toyota
- 307 Vladimir Vasilyev / Konstantin Zhiltsov – Toyota
- 317 Emiliano Spataro / Benjamin Lozada – Renault